- Full-time: registration for 9 or more semester hours of study per semester (September - December; January - April). Students normally will begin in September.
- Part-time: registration for 1-8 semester hours of study per semester.
- Continuing Registration Status (applies only to those in the thesis option): students are expected to maintain continuous enrolment throughout the program (a minimum of three semester hours of study per semester) or Continuing Registration Status, except in the following case.
Due to the nature of the thesis option, it may be advisable for students to conduct some fieldwork and linguistic research prior to entering the thesis phase of the degree. Therefore it is anticipated that some students may choose an extended absence of up to four years between the first and second years of the program, or prior to writing the thesis. Up to four years is permitted for research without official Continuing Registration Status. Longer than that requires special permission from the Program Director.
Except for such a research period, Continuing Registration Status would apply from the time of completion of all course work except for the thesis requirement. Continuing Registration Status may be used until the thesis is submitted, successfully defended, and all corrections satisfactorily completed, with final copies provided to the Registrar's office. The student should request the MA LING Program Director to write a memo for the student's file indicating when the four year period commences.
- Degree Completion: a maximum of six years from first enrollment is allowed for completion of the program. An extension may be granted upon appeal to the Program Director.
- A minimum of 21 semester hours must be completed at TWU.